Welcome to Scotty's Funk Werks! And KA9P's Three Rules of Ham Radio.

Well why not.  Everybody else is. 😎   A little background before we get down to business.  Projects to follow shortly.

I'm Scotty, KA9P and ZF2SC.  I spend way too much time tinkering with amateur radio projects.  And polluting my QRZ page with the results.

The QRZ page is looking a bit bulky, so I'll eventually offload those projects here. Too many people were falling asleep looking at QRZ. 

But I'll start with some of my current stuff - mostly related to portable ops of one kind or another.

"Scotty's Funk Werks" because it reminds me of Scotty's Skunk Works, a website my son generously created for me as part of his high school graphics design class.  But back in the day we got into a bit of a trademark dustup with Lockheed over our use of the word "Skunkworks."  

I'm an IP lawyer, and we worked that out, leaving the site up for several years.  But as my slave labor resident HTML expert went off to bigger and better things, I let it drop. And I don't want to go through that "skunkworks" experience again, so Funk Werks it is.

 "Funk" is German for radio (among other things), and werks means...well, you get it.

My projects often relate to simple things for QRP and other portable ops, with some rescue of basket case vintage radios and scratch-building.  And I have a special place in my heart for broken homebrew radios built by better radio guys, and will feature a few of those rescues as they begin to come alive again.

I know much better than to be in love with my stuff.  If you have a better way, or have something you think belongs here shoot me a note and let's try to get it up. Sharing is a core value of ham radio.

And with a venue for an old man to yell at the clouds, you also may catch a rant or two about ham radio.  Facebook tells me that's what sells.

But I won't rant about FT-8, or contests, or DXers.  It's not about old guys and new guys.  Or radio fan boy stuff. Or any other win-lose issue you're fond of.  

Because here there are three and only three rules for happy ham radio.  Heck, if Asimov can do robots in three rules, it should be easy enough to do ham radio in three.

And I'm open to feedback (I've heard it's a gift), but for now the rules I'm hamming by are simple enough.

HAVE FUN.

IF IT'S NOT FUN, FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO - Amateur radio is a diverse and rich hobby - there is always something else more fun to do.

DON'T CRAP ON ANYONE ELSE'S FUN.  As obvious as this should be, this is the one thing about amateur radio - and life - that makes me a little crazy.  Often people complain about other people's fun, but they haven't tried what they dis.  

So as they say, WATCH THIS SPACE. And in the meantime, HAVE FUN.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Nearly Universal Whip Adapter for the KX2

A Nearly Universal Whip Adapter for the FT-817

The Xiegu G90 Junkbox Manpack