The IC-705 Gets a Paddle Mount
Executive Summary
I am embarrassed to list this as a project.
The truth of the matter is, I'm simply a shameless opportunist.
All I've done is screw something on something else in a way that wasn't originally intended. As you review the details you will realize that I screwed up. Twice.
Read on.
The Background
GM0EUL, Peter, makes a great mount for his Academy paddles. That mount is designed for Elecraft radios.
This is a picture of Peter‘s mount and the Academy paddles.
This is a picture of Peter‘s mount and key installed, as intended, on my Elecraft KX-2 for handheld operation.
As you can see, the paddle mount uses its two 4-40 thumb screws to attach the mount to the front panel of the KX-2.
It’s not immediately obvious why or how this would translate to the IC 705, but better lucky than smart.
Serendipity is a wonderful thing.
The Backstory
Once the radio was resting on the mount, I realized that it might be possible to reattach the paddles to the mount's swing arm, and then reattach the swing arm to the paddle mount base in a way that made the paddles usefully attached to the radio.
And as they say on Soldersmoke, Bob's your uncle.
How to Use Peter's Mount on the 705
Remove the captive 4-40 thumb screws from the mount.
Ream the mount holes out ever so slightly.
Obtain two M4 screws of sufficient length to pass through the mount and secure the mount into the front two threaded holes on the bottom of the 705.
Adjust the mount swing arm and upper mounting screw to orient the paddle in your favorite direction.
I find the radio and key stable enough for operation. It will fall backwards if you bump it hard, as will happen with any other foot used in this manner. But I find I can operate on a flat surface outside reliably working the key.
The photos below show more detail of the mounted key.
Peter is the genuis here. I'm ecstatic to be able to move the paddles and mount between my KX-2, KX-3 and IC-705.
As I always say, these posts document my experiences. They aren't recommendations but rather fodder for you to decide innovative ways to safely and sanely use your equipment.
It works well for me. 😎






Comments